Friday, July 8, 2011

Fix Macfuse on Mac OS X 10.6.8

This is my first real technical blog post.  So the story is that I really want to continue my web programming learning process, the first thing to do is to mount the remote server as a local drive on my new Mac. This Mac came just a few days before Apple launched the whole new Lion OS, so my version is Snow Leopard 10.6.8, and it's running on the 64-bit kernel. After I installed Google MacFUSE and the Macfusion GUI, I encountered two problems:

1. When I tried to mount using Macfusion, I would constantly received the error: Remote host has disconnect. While I was sure the remote host has no problem.

2. The MacFUSE preference pane is 32-bit only, when click MacFUSE from the system preference on a Mac that runs 64-bit kernel, it will cause the system preference quit and reopen.

The first problem is the major problem, I googled and found these two blog posts quite illuminating:
http://rackerhacker.com/2009/08/28/fix-macfusion-on-snow-leopard/
http://www.5dollarwhitebox.org/drupal/node/97

I tried these two solutions, but they didn't work for me, I simply cannot find the 'sshnodelay.so' file here on my machine. Maybe because these two blog posts both are from some time last year, there have been quite a bit of updating going on. Then I found this blog:
http://blog.philippklaus.de/2011/04/fix-sshfs-with-macfuse-on-mac-os-x-10-6-7-snow-leopard/

It should work for both 10.6.7 and 10.6.8. I simply downloaded the 2.1.9 version of MacFUSE it pointed to and installed it, problem solved!

One last thing to say here is that the default mounting path of Macfusion is home folder of the server, if you want to visit files that is not under the home folder like me, simply specify the path to "/" as the screenshot showed below.

For the second problem, it's minor, but quite annoying. Every time if I click the MacFUSE from system preference, the system preference would restart and show 32-bit. I solved it by downloading the MacFUSE preference pane file from here. After downloading, unzip and copy the MacFUSE.prefPane to /Library/PreferencePanes/, and replace the previous version.

Other things I learned:
(1) The Mac OS X 10.6.8 doesn't allow the user to enable root user for security reasons.
(2) The 'sudo' command is for avoiding root user, so if I use 'sudo', I do not need to be a root user, I just need to type my admin password.
(3) I have to memorize some of the bash command for Linux, such as sudo, cd, ls, ~, etc. Here is for my preference in the future.
(4) The newest Lion OS is really attractive and at a very reasonable price for update. The multi-touch function is really cool and fascinating. However, after I got this trouble with MacFUSE on my version of OS, I decided to be patient. Who knows what kind of problems I will encounter with a whole new OS? But from another aspect, it's always worth to explore and to tackle with new challenges. It's always great to realize how little I know, and how much I've learned and will learn in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment