I started to look at how to config a Amazon Mechanical Turk user interface to recruit workers to write tags for some research papers in Engineering Education. These papers are in .PDF format.
I first used <iframe> </iframe>, didn't work. There was just a pop-up window asking me whether to download the pdf. Then I realized this probably the problem of the pdf viewer of my browser. After Googled it, I found many people have had this problem. I figured that the best solution among those suggestions probably be to move the nppdf32.dll file in Adobe Reader folder to the Mozilla Firefox Plugin folder, but then I found that the Mac version of Adobe Reader doesn't have a nppdf32.dll file.
After spending quite a while wondering online, I found this best solution for me: to install the Schubert|it PDF Browser plugin. After installing this, I can view the pdf in a nice window in Firefox browser, but my Mechanical Turk code still didn't work, it was just showing a blank box, and other things under the box have disappeared. Then I changed the <iframe> </iframe> to <embed> </embed>, work nice!
Now I am worrying that this is working for my browser, but probably won't work for all my workers' browsers. Everybody is using different versions of OS, different versions of web browsers, different versions of pdf readers, and having different preferences about whether to download the pdf or view it online. Everybody has encountered similar or totally different problems and solved or not solved in different ways. What it takes to give everybody the best web experience?
No comments:
Post a Comment