Sunday, July 3, 2011

Review: Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions


Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our DecisionsPredictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I enjoyed the first chapter of this book very much. The notion that our decisions are always based on comparisons but not absolute values poked me to think that I have compared too much. As a perfectionist somehow, I compare every aspects of my life with others, which actually oftentimes makes me unhappy and unsatisfied about my situation and also become impatient. I have to learn to only compare the most important things, and just let go other things and enjoy my life.

But then after the first several chapters I gradually lost my interest, because I kind of feel that I am more rational than the examples given in this book, and even if sometimes I am irrational, I am fully informed of that, and happy to be irrational. Irrational thinking and emotional feeling are human nature, it's not necessary to be rational all the time. If we are happy to be influenced by others, we are happy to get free stuffs, we are happy to compare ourselves a little bit in order to improve ourselves, and we are happy to keep some doors open, and wait for miracles, that's fine. I aware that the author also noted some of these in the book, also I am thinking I feel this way because most of the time I am more rational than the examples the author described. I can deal with most of the situations in the book, except compare too much, and sometimes leave many doors open (usually at the fist stage, when I am not seeing things clear, I will keep many doors open. During the final stage, I would be very decisive). So the last several chapters are not as much as useful to me.

Overall, I have to admit that behavioral economics looks like a very interesting field.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment